Easy to make Almond Flour Cinnamon Bread with minimal ingredients, swirls of cinnamon and an irresistible streusel topping! Delicious, guilt free holiday bread with a light and fluffy texture.
Table of Contents
Enjoying a slice of this almond flour cinnamon bread recipe with a glass of milk compares to eating a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch cereal- but absolutely guilt free! It is packed with nutrients, low carb and you can even make it sugar free with erythritol.
Whether you’re making this bread for its list of healthy and nourishing ingredients or because you’re looking for a gluten free cinnamon bread recipe that will knock your socks off, this is one your whole family will love!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Holiday bread: With a delicious cinnamon swirl and streusel like topping this quick bread will be a new Christmas baking favorite!
- Nutrient dense: Cinnamon swirl bread without processed and bleached all-purpose flour and instead uses high protein almond flour.
- Diet friendly: Gluten free, low carb, oil free and can be made sugar free makes this a holiday bread for everyone!
- Versatile: Swap sugar for maple syrup in bread and replace yogurt with applesauce or mashed banana!
- Easy to make: One bowl for the quick bread and a small bowl for the cinnamon sugar streusel, less mess and more time to enjoy holiday festivities.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Almond flour: Almond flour not almond meal, I buy Kirkland brand. If you want to make your own, here is a quick tutorial how to make almond flour at home.
- Eggs: Eggs act as “a glue” for almond flour. Do not skip and I personally have not tried any replacements.
- Yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt works well or strained plain yogurt. It’s full-bodied which will help with the consistency of the bread.
- Sweetener: Any liquid or dry sweetener will do for the cinnamon sugar bread. Maple syrup, honey, agave, cane sugar, coconut sugar or sugar free erythritol are popular for sweet bread recipes.
- Baking basics: Baking powder, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon (lots!), salt.
- Swirl: Sugar and cinnamon make this a cinnamon swirl bread. Cane sugar, coconut sugar, or erythritol are great options.
While in the almond flour loaf you can use any liquid or dry sweetener, for the streusel swirl you must use a dry granulated sugar!
How to Make Almond Flour Cinnamon Bread
- Prep: Preheat oven and line a loaf pan with unbleached parchment paper, spray with cooking spray, and set aside. When lining the loaf pan with paper, make sure to keep an inch or two above the loaf pan for easy removal. In a small bowl, whisk dry ingredients sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Mix: In a large bowl mix wet ingredients by whisking eggs, yogurt, sweetener, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add almond flour and mix gently with spatula to combine.
- Pour: Pour half the batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Pour remaining batter on top, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and gently swirl with a butter knife.
- Bake: Bake until your house smells amazing, and cinnamon swirl bread is browned nicely on the outside. It will be a little darker due to the sugar and cinnamon. To make sure it’s done, insert a toothpick into the centre. It should be clean when removed.
- Cool: Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Once slightly cooled, holding onto the side of the parchment paper, remove the loaf from the pan and cool completely.
It’s important to let your cinnamon sugar bread with almond flour cool for at least an hour before slicing. Otherwise, if you cut into it while it is hot, your bread will fall apart.
- Make Greek yogurt: If you only have regular yogurt on hand, use a cheesecloth or linen towel to strain and allow the liquid to release for 1-2 hours. Catch the liquid in a bowl and use the whey to make whole wheat buttermilk pancakes or discard. Measure the remaining yogurt for the recipe.
- Egg free: I have not tested this almond flour bread, but chia egg works for almond flour banana bread and could be tried for this bread. You could try flax egg, too. Your bread may be flatter/denser.
- Dairy free: Swap out the yogurt for applesauce or mashed bananas if you are avoiding dairy.
- Healthier additions: Add in some flax, chia, or hemp seeds to increase fibre and protein among many other benefits.
- Special holiday mix-in’s: Add in some dried raisins or cranberries or dark chocolate chips to make this already delicious cinnamon bread a little extra special.
- Icing: Drizzle with a homemade icing like in healthy gingerbread loaf or a chocolate drizzle like I use in almond flour shortbread cookies.
- Chai spiced swirl: Add a pinch of cardamom, nutmeg and allspice to your swirl mix.
- Brown sugar swirl: Swap your dry sugar for granulated brown sugar.
Looking for plain bread with almond flour? Try almond flour bread recipe that is perfect for toasting or topping.
Tips for Best Results
- Layer the swirl: Remember to pour half the batter, add the streusel mix and then top with remaining batter.
- Cinnamon sugar on top: Be careful not to over mix or you will lose the effect of the swirl.
- Patience after baking: It will be hard not to slice into your loaf right away, but wait at least an hour, otherwise the bread will crumble if it is too hot.
- Scoop, measure and level almond flour: The best way to measure almond flour correctly is to scoop it from the bag into the measuring cup and then level it with a knife. Scooping allows the flour to be light and fluffy and not packed.
That depends on if you are including Greek yogurt in your keto diet. If so, you can make the recipe as is, if not, you can try swapping the yogurt for applesauce or bananas.
To make this vegan, you will need to replace the yogurt with either a dairy-free Greek yogurt (Kite Hill brand makes a dairy free Greek yogurt) or use applesauce or banana. You will also need to omit the eggs, and try the bread with egg replacer. Note: I have not tested either of those so proceed with caution!
No, this recipe has only been tested with almond flour bread. You cannot use whole wheat, spelt, all-purpose or coconut flour.
A few culprits could be the issue. Your baking powder is expired, you over mixed the batter or you tried replacing the eggs and the it led to dense bread results.
Yes! Almond flour is naturally gluten-free which makes this a perfect gifting idea for your gluten free sensitive friends.
How to Serve
You will be so anxious to taste this healthy cinnamon bread. And for a good reason – it smells amazing and tastes delicious!
- Topping ideas: Top warm slice with cream cheese or butter and watch it melt into the cinnamon sugar.
- Spreads: Use your favorite nut butter, whipped butter or even for a decadent treat chocolate spread.
- Make french toast: Dip bread in a mixture of eggs and cinnamon and lightly fry for a holiday breakfast!
How to Store
Reheating: Pop a slice into a toaster for 1-2 minutes. Bread will taste like freshly baked.
Storing: Bread will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days in a cool dry area.
Freezing: Freeze in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
More Healthy Bread Recipes to Try
- Coconut flour banana bread
- Healthy zucchini bread
- Healthy gingerbread loaf
- Healthy chocolate bread
- Lemon zucchini bread
- Pumpkin bread with almond flour
Or check out my entire collection of healthy quick bread recipes!
Almond Flour Cinnamon Bread
For the Swirl:
- 3 tbsp cane coconut sugar or erythritol
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line 9 x 5 loaf pan with unbleached parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, yogurt, sweetener, vanilla, baking powder + soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk well until combined.
- Add almond flour (don’t forget to skim the top of measuring cup with a knife) and mix gently with spatula to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Pour half batter into previously prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with half amount of cinnamon sugar.
- Pour remaining batter on top, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and swirl with butter knife.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Bread will brown nicely on the outside because sugar plus brown cinnamon.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off for 10 minutes. Holding onto the flaps of parchment paper remove bread from a loaf pan and let it cool off for another 30-60 minutes before slicing with sharp serrated knife. Because of crusty streusel like topping, bread might fall apart if you attempt to slice it whole hot.
- Store: Store covered in a cool dry place for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: Up to 3 months in an airtight container.
- Sweetener: I have used maple syrup in loaf and made swirl with both sugar and erythritol.
- For the swirl, it’s important to use dry sweetener.
- Dairy free: I believe you can replace yogurt with applesauce or mashed banana.
- Egg free: You can try to use chia egg, results may be more dense/flatter.
- If you have regular yogurt, strain it through a cheesecloth or linen kitchen towel for 1-2 hours. Measure after and use leftover whey to make pancakes or discard.