The creamiest Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto made with arborio rice, white wine, broth, Parmesan cheese, and earthy mushrooms. Serve on its own or as a savory side dish.
We also love this low carb cauliflower risotto.
Table of Contents
I can never have too many Instant Pot recipes! This is the easiest, no-fuss Instant Pot mushroom risotto recipe with no babysitting and no constant stirring required.
Layers of flavor with all the traditional risotto ingredients, but ready in a fraction of the time, so you can enjoy a restaurant quality dish on your busiest day.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy: We saute and cook all ingredients in one pot, Instant Pot. Also no stirring required liek with the stovetop risotto.
- Delicious: Same creamy and cheesy risotto taste as you know! The type of comfort food that has you dishing up seconds or thirds.
- Diet friendly: If you’re looking for healthy Instant Pot recipes that are vegetarian and gluten-free, this is it! You can also make this risotto vegan with vegan butter, vegetable broth, and vegetarian Parmesan or miso paste.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
Instant Pot mushroom risotto requires a handful of staple ingredients and fresh mushrooms.
- Mushrooms: Sliced brown mushrooms, white mushrooms, portobello mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms. You can use one type or try a combination. I prefer brown mushrooms because they add more flavor.
- Aromatics: Finely chopped onion and freshly minced garlic.
- Dried thyme: If you’re not a fan of its clove-like flavor, use dried rosemary.
- Olive oil: A bit of extra-virgin olive oil is needed for frying.
- Arborio rice: You’ll need 2 cups of this Italian short grain rice. Do not sub for any other rice, see tips section below.
- Broth: Make your own chicken broth, Instant Pot chicken broth, or vegetable broth or use store-bought low sodium chicken broth.
- White wine: A dry white wine like Pinot Grigio increases the depth of flavor. If you don’t like cooking with wine, add more chicken broth.
- Salt: To season and enhance flavors.
- Butter: Makes mushroom risotto extra creamy.
- Parmesan cheese: Freshly grated Parmesan cheese adds a salty decadent taste.
- Fresh herbs: Fresh parsley adds a finishing freshness to the dish.
How to Make Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
Here’s a quick and easy overview of how to make Instant Pot mushroom risotto any night of the week in less than 40 minutes!
There is a full recipe card below.
- Sauté aromatics and mushrooms: Heat your Instant Pot and sauté onion, garlic, and mushrooms in oil for 5 minutes. Stir in thyme, then press Cancel.
- Add rice and liquids: Pour in rice, wine, and 4 cups of broth. Stir to combine and close the lid.
- Pressure cook: Set the valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook or Manual button for 3 minutes. Allow pressure to come down on its own for 10 minutes, then turn valve to Venting. Important to follow these times!
- Finish the risotto: Add in the remaining broth, butter, Parmesan cheese, and stir gently. Here’s where you can add more broth to your favorite consistency. Garnish with parsley.
Tips for Best Results
Here are my top tips and tricks for making mushroom risotto in Instant Pot.
- Use only arborio rice: As arborio rice cooks, it releases starch which creates the signature creamy texture. Any other type of rice will not produce the same consistency.
- Don’t overcook: Just like with any Instant Pot rice recipe, it’s important to release pressure as per directions. Vent it after 10 minutes and not later.
- For more al dente rice: Some like a bite to it. If you found your rice too soft, next time try to pressure cook it for 2 minutes and vent after 7 minutes and see how it is.
- Adjust the consistency: After cooking, rice absorbs liquids as it sits, add as much broth as you like.
What to Serve Mushroom Risotto with?
Mushroom risotto is best served immediately garnished with fresh parsley and more freshly grated Parmesan!
Serve it with your Sunday Instant Pot Mississippi pot roast (recipe coming soon), or braised lamb shanks for a special occasion.
How to Store and Reheat
Store: Leftover risotto will stay fresh in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Once cooked, transfer to a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for 5-6 hours.
Reheat: Pop it in the microwave or reheat on the stovetop with some extra broth, if needed.
You must use arborio rice for risotto, any other white rice will not result in the same creamy consistency.
Brown mushrooms or portobello mushrooms are easy to find and produce the most flavor. But you can use white mushrooms and risotto will still be flavorful. You can also add any fresh wild mushrooms like chanterelles or dried porcini mushrooms, previously soaked in water. Use some of the soaking liquid as well.
Yes, you can omit mushrooms and follow the recipe.
Yes, to make risotto without wine just swap for the same amount of extra broth.
Yes. For vegan mushroom risotto, use dairy-free butter, vegetable broth and vegetarian Parmesan cheese. Or instead of cheese, flavor risotto with a little bit of soy sauce and miso paste.
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot chicken and rice
- Instant Pot chicken fried rice
- Instant Pot rice and beans
- Instant Pot brown rice
- Instant Pot jasmine rice
- Instant Pot basmati rice
Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
- 10 ounces brown or white mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium & divided
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- Preheat Instant Pot until display says Hot. Add olive oil, onion, garlic and mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add thyme, stir and press Cancel.
- Add rice, 4 cups of broth and wine. Stir, close the lid, set valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook or Manual for 3 minutes.
- After let pressure come down on its own for 10 minutes, then turn valve to Venting to release remaining pressure. Add remaining 1/2 cups broth, butter and Parmesan cheese. Stir risotto gently and add more broth, if you wish, to reach your favorite consistency.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot immediately.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter for 5-6 hours.